Michiana Shores is a town in Springfield and Michigan townships, LaPorte County, Indiana, United States. The population was 313 at the 2010 census. It is included in the Michigan City, Indiana-La Porte, Indiana Metropolitan Statistical Area. Michiana Shores is located in northwesternmost Springfield Township, and is the township's sole incorporated community.
Michiana Shores takes its name from the Michiana region along the Michigan-Indiana border.
Michiana Shores is located at 41°45'23?N 86°49'6?W (41.756290, -86.818447).
According to the 2010 census, Michiana Shores has a total area of 0.35 square miles (0.91 km2), all land.
The town lies on the shore of Lake Michigan, just south of the Michigan state line. The town is adjacent to Michiana, Michigan, and also neighbors Long Beach, Indiana along the coast to the west.
The inland part of Michiana Shores was the site of the logging town of Corymbo in the 1860s and 1870s. Corymbo, located on the Michigan Central railroad, was home to a mixture of lumbermen and railroad employees. A post office was established there in 1861, but had been discontinued by 1880. The land was owned by the local Burgwald family, which sold it in the 1920s to the Long Beach Land Company.
The modern-day beach community began to be developed in the 1930s, when developers Orphie Gotto and Clarence Mathias began to build it as a log cabin town for vacationers. Many of the early residents were schoolteachers from Chicago. The town was incorporated in 1947.